The Derelict Distillery is a sixth level biome that can only be accessed after reaching the Throne Room for the first time. It is an abandoned warehouse that was once used to produce liquor before being converted into a gunpowder factory. The rooms and hallways are filled with stacks of barrels and giant bottles, which can be assumed to contain alcohol, that are hanging by chains from the ceilings. Large machines can be seen in the background, their function unknown.
The walls themselves often appear to be covered in pipes and electronic devices that were once used to keep the distillery operational, but now many walls have been visibly damaged by blasts from the explosive barrels found throughout the facility. Like everywhere else on the Island, the malaise has had its way with this place, as the people that once worked here have been turned into mutated monsters that still roam the halls.
Access and exit
The Derelict Distillery is only accessible after reaching the Throne Room once, and can be reached via the Clock Room, the Guardian's Haven,RotG or the Mausoleum.FF The path to the exit is blocked by a locked door that needs the , which can be found after a winding hallway with bouncing barrels. Before the actual exit to the level there will be a damaged wall that is blocking the path, as well as a nearby Infected Worker. The worker can be baited into chucking a barrel at the wall to destroy it, allowing one to leave or alternatively, the Barrel Launcher can be used to destroy the wall. This exit leads to the Throne Room, and also the LighthouseTQatS once it has been visted once from the Infested Shipwreck.TQatS
Exploding barrels, dispensers, and damaged walls
The Distillery is riddled with obstacles and puzzles that revolve around bouncy, exploding barrels. These barrels are most commonly fired from dispensers, either on the ceiling, or sideways on walls, but barrels can also occasionally be found sitting on the ground. They are also thrown and placed by Infected Workers. These barrels can be knocked around by hitting them with any ranged or melee weapons, as well as shields. Normally, barrels have an orange glow, and will explode upon contact with the player, but if the player strikes one, it will bounce forward, and glow white instead of orange. In this state, they are unable to harm the player and can only damage enemies.
Damaged walls are quite common throughout the biome and can be destroyed using an explosive barrel, either your own, fired from the Barrel Launcher, one fired by an enemy, or dropped from traps. These walls work similarly to destroyable floors, in that they create debris that can damage enemies on the other side of the wall.
Some examples of the dangers that can be found are listed below:
- The start of the level is blocked off by a damaged wall, with a dispenser dropping exploding barrels which you need to hit to bounce them into the wall.
- A set of two ladders, each having dispensers dropping barrels from above in a staggered pattern that can be dodged by jumping between the ladders.
- An area featuring a set of switchback hallways that have barrels bouncing from one side to another as they are fired from a dispenser at the end of the room.
- A large room containing a set of three dispensers firing barrels from the ceiling, one after the other. To the sides of the dispensers are platforms containing enemies, which the player must jump between as the barrels fall.
A colorlesscan always be found in a room at the end of one of the routes within the level. It can be useful for helping make your way through the area because it can smash damaged walls.
Derelict Distillery contains 2 Scrolls of Power, and 2 Dual Scrolls. When 3 Boss Stem Cells are active, this biome has 1 guaranteed Scroll Fragment, and when 4/5 Boss Stem Cells are active, this biome has 2 guaranteed Scroll Fragments. These cannot spawn in areas requiring the use of any runes.
Enemy tier and gear level scaling
|Enemy tier||17 - 21||25 - 30||33 - 35||35 - 38||40 - 44|
|Enemy Health tier||Base||25 - 30||35 - 38||39 - 42||42 - 46|
Loot and shops
- 1 Treasure chest behind
- 1 Treasure chest behind
- 1 item behind
- 1 item behind
- 1 item behind
- 1 Weapon shop
- 1 Skill shop
The table below lists which enemies are present in the Derelict Distillery on each difficulty level and which blueprints each may drop. When applicable, the minimum difficulty level for blueprint acquisition is specified.
|Shieldbearer||Rampart, Bloodthirsty Shield, Ice Shield|
|Living Barrel||Tesla Coil|
|Infected Worker||Barrel Launcher|
|Kamikaze||Frantic Sword, Kamikaze Outfit, Neon Outfit (1+ BSC)|
|Lacerator||Crusher, Open Wounds, Carduus Outfit (1+ BSC)|
|Demolisher||Acrobatipack, Arbalester's Outfit|
|Bombardier||Wave of Denial, Powerful Grenade, Aphrodite Outfit (3+ BSC)|
|Hammer||War Spear, Oil Grenade|
|Oven Knight||Kill Rhythm, Oven Axe|
A large room with a barrel dispenser protruding from the ceiling above a track that was used to transport barrels. Two giant red and yellow colored banners with the distillery logo hang on both sides of the room. There is a scribbled note that can be read. It is unknown who has written the note.
- "Dispenser out of order"
- "One of the engineers was so happy with his new prototype that he went straight to the barrel dispenser to test it..."
- "This level of stupidity would have got him fired if he didn't die in the process."
- "Signed: The Management"
A mash tun fed from a barrel contains an unknown substance that flows into a what looks like a silo and then ends up in a set of giant bottles. The tubes connecting all the containers glow a light blue, which could be from the substance inside them.
A drunk dead worker... or maybe just dead.
Next to the device a dead worker can be found along with several empty bottles. The Beheaded muses on the scene before him.
- "Someone tried to drink directly from the barrel?"
- "Old habits die hard."
- It is unknown when or why the Derelict Distillery was converted into a powder keg factory, however it is possible that it was done in an attempt to combat the Malaise and the undead atrocities that it had created by using the explosive barrels to fight them, which the Derelict Distillery had been producing in mass quantities. Evidence of this can be found in the Barrel Launcher, which uses the barrels as ammunition.
- Prior to v2.2 this biome was simply called Distillery while exiting a Passage.
- The reasons for this are yet to be specified, but it was likely due to a translation error.
- 2.0: Introduced.
- In-game name is now Derelict Distillery everywhere.
- Demolishers only appear from 1+ BSC.
- Increased enemy density from 3+ BSC.
- Demolishers once again appear from 0+ BSC.
- Decreased enemy density from 3+ BSC.
- 2.4: Added new rooms to increase level design variety.