Gollum, also known as the Sewer Creature, is an NPC in Dead Cells. When the Beheaded first enters the Toxic Sewers, he meets an unnamed character (called "Gollum" in the game files, in reference to The Lord of the Rings) stuck behind bars who asks him to fetch "his" rune, heavily implying it is not actually his own. After the player kills the Elite Slasher who holds it, he encounters the mysterious character again but refuses to hand him the rune. "Gollum" then warns the Beheaded will regret this and swears he will eventually get his rune "back". A lore room full of teleportation coffins can be found with his corpse, putting a sad end to this story. The Sewer Creature wanted the Teleportation rune to retrieve a treasure chest that could only be reached by using a Teleportation coffin. Sadly, he met a tragic and ironic fate, as he ended up getting squished by the very same sarcophagi he was obssessing over.
- ""HEY YOU!"
- "Come here for a second!"
- "A little slow... But you seem to understand what I'm saying..."
- "I lost a ru.. I mean MY rune. So you see, I'm a little stuck..."
- "And I NEED my rune, you see..."
- "You wouldn't mind finding it for me, would you?"
- "Ho ho! Thank you! It's somewhere around here in these sewers, on your side of these bars..."
- "Aha! There you are!"
- "It's here! The... MY rune is just a little bit further on!"
- "What? Not at all, nothing to worry about!"
- "After coming this far, you'll make short work of all that!"
- "So... OFF YOU GO!"
Misc. lines before retrieving the rune:
- "Bring it back to me quick!"
- "It's somewhere around here! I know, I can FEEL it!"
- "Did you find it?"
- "Oh, where are you, my precious little rune?"
- "So? Have you got it?"
- "Well, what are you waiting for? Get moving!"
- "You're not gonna get the... my rune back by hanging around here..."
- "A little courage, my man!"
- "Show a little nerve!"
- "You wouldn't abandon a friend in need, now would you, huh?"
- "There's no one there..."
- "There's no one..."
- "Hey, over here!"
- "I saw your fight. It was pretty impressive."
- "Did you...? Did you get it?"
- "Excellent! Now give it to me!"
- "I said... GIVE IT TO ME!"
- "I knew it... You're just like all the rest..."
- "You'll regret this..."
Misc. lines after retrieving the rune:
- "GIVE ME THE RUNE!"
- "It's MY rune!"
- "COME ON!"
- "I WANT my rune!"
- "I'll get my rune back, you'll see..."
- "I'll get it back, you'll see..."
- "You’ve nothing to lose by waiting..."
- The prison bars, and the final set of dialogue lines, can still be found on runs after obtaining the rune.
- As a consequence of this, in some rare cases, the game will randomly generate a Toxic Sewers biome that simultaneously contains both the lore room where the Beheaded finds Gollum dead and the jail bars location where the very-much-not-dead Gollum continues to angrily hassle the Beheaded over the theft of "his" rune.