The Promenade of the Condemned is a second level biome. This area is surrounded by a forest and utilizes a blueish colour palette. Among the trees are numerous cages; some broken, and others remain barely intact. Wooden buildings are built into the land, connecting to underground structures via elevator.
The once tranquil and natural atmosphere of these woods has been banished by the horrific atrocities committed. No bird other than the black feathered crow flies here, feasting on the decaying bodies of the hanged... No prisoner would wish to be sent out here.
Access and exit
The Promenade can only be accessed from the Prisoners' Quarters. The Promenade has the most exits out of every biome in the game, leading to four different exits: the first is located at the far right end after using an elevator and leads to the Ramparts. Below this exit, another door leads to the Ossuary, but can only be accessed after obtaining the . An underground section of the Promenade leads to the Prison Depths if the player possesses the , and another underground section will require the use of the Teleportation rune to enter, where the entrance to the Morass of the Banished can be found.
An Undead Archer elite can be found here who drops the . This encounter does not occur again after being defeated once.
The Promenade of the Condemned contains 3 scrolls, including 1 Power Scroll and 2 Dual-stat scrolls, which cannot spawn in areas requiring the BSC) there is a bonus Power scroll. When 3 BSC are active, this biome has 1 guaranteed Scroll Fragment, and when 4/5 Boss Stem Cells are active, this biome has 2 guaranteed Scroll Fragments., or . On (1+
Enemy tier and gear level scaling
In the table below, you will find the gear level and enemy tier of the Promenade of the Condemned based on difficulty.
|Enemy lvl tier||3 - 7||5 - 10||6 - 10||8 - 12||9 - 13|
|Enemy Health tier||Base||5 - 8||9 - 13||11 - 14||12 - 16|
Loot and shops
- There is a 10% chance of finding a Cursed chest.
- There is always a shop that is not behind a rune path.
- There is always a shop behind a
- Chance for gear behind a
- Chance for a Treasure chest
- Chance for a chained-item altar
Boss Stem Cells rewards
- The blueprint for the timed door in the Collector transition area between the Prisoners' Quarters and the Promenade of the Condemned. can be found behind the 2 minute
- The blueprints for the and the mutation can be found in secret areas high above the entrance of the biome. The one for the Ripper is way higher than the blueprint of the Assassin's Dagger.
A special puzzle in this biome requires the player to find threes to obtain the blueprint for the . The first of these keys are found in an underground area which can be accessed with the . The second is found in a tower and can be obtained with either the or the . The third key can be obtained by stomping on a potted rose lying somewhere on the floor, as seen on the picture. With the three keys, the player can unlock the doors in a tower to get the blueprint. The Gardener's keys can also be swapped for s in the Ramparts, Graveyard and Forgotten Sepulcher in order to unlock the mutation in the Castle. The latter needs 3+ BSC however.
Once theand have been unlocked, the s will no longer appear in future runs.
The blueprints for Runners.and can be looted from
The Promenade is the only biome where one may encounter Runners, and one of the only three with Bats in the whole game. Aside from those two, the iconic enemy of this biome is the Protector, which surrounds nearby enemies with a force field, rendering them invincible. This effect makes the Promenade a hard biome on all difficulties, despite being only the second stage in the run. Another enemy which makes this biome particularly hard is the Bombardier, which replaces the Grenadier above the base difficulty. Other enemies include Kamikazes and Zombies, which are replaced by Dark Trackers and Failed Experiments in higher difficulties.
In the table below, you will find which enemies are present in the Promenade of the Condemned depending on difficulty level. For each enemy, any common, uncommon, rare or legendary blueprints they carry are indicated. When applicable, the minimum difficulty level for blueprint acquisition is specified in brackets.
|Zombie||Blood Sword, Double Crossb-o-matic, Bobby Outfit (1 BSC)|
|Grenadier||Fire Grenade, Magnetic Grenade|
|Bat||Knife Dance, Oiled Sword|
|Runner||Spartan Sandals, Cleaver, Phaser|
|Protector||Corrupted Power, Explosive Decoy, Warrior Outfit (3+ BSC)|
|Kamikaze||Frantic Sword, Kamikaze Outfit, Neon Outfit (1+ BSC)|
|Dark Tracker||Repeater Crossbow, Hayabusa Boots, Ninja Outfit|
|Bombardier||Powerful Grenade, Wave of Denial, Aphrodite Outfit (3+ BSC)|
The Alchemist grimoire in this area reads:
- "All the species found in these areas seem changed."
- "Was it insects that spread the Malaise all over the island?"
Orders of the King
- An order from The King to his guards says to lock up anyone showing signs of Malaise infection. This message can also be found in the Ramparts.
- An order from the King reads, "If the cells are overpopulated, use the outdoor jails or the oubliettes. Leave no suspects unsupervised." This message can also be found in the Ramparts.
- A public order by the King can be found next to hanged prisoners. It orders the imprisonment and execution of all people presenting signs of abnormal behavior or physical appearance, i.e. suspected of infection by the Malaise.
- A well can be found, which might contain rubbish and a rotting drowned corpse. The Beheaded reflects that it's no wonder people get sick when filthy stuff gets thrown in the water supply.
- In a different instance, a dead prisoner can be found in the well. He seems to have died from exhaustion and hunger as he made his way through a cavern that was below a well.
- A mass grave composed of dead prisoners can sometimes be found on the surface of the level. The Beheaded can find an item clutched by one of the corpses. To the side of the grave is a banner bearing the King’s coat of arms, signifying who was responsible for the atrocity.
A statue of the king can be found in the Promenade of the Condemned. The Beheaded questions how the king can see with his helmet covering his face.
- "A statue of the King of the island."
- "...How could he see anything with that helmet on?"
- As with most biomes, there is a chance of finding a lore room with a bonfire, referencing the game Dark Souls. When you interact with a sword at the campfire, The Beheaded will say "The campfire was abandoned by an earlier visitor", "It won't hurt if i stay here a little" and "Something has changed". Words written on the wall spell "GIT GUD" when interacted with, and the dead man will give an item with some gold. An enemy will sometimes appear in the room, and will drop a lot of cells upon death.
The Ramparts are faintly visible in the background.
- 0.0: Introduced.
- Runners used to be found in Stilt Village as well, while Bats once spawned in the Clock Tower.