Version 1.6, officially The Legacy Update, and also known as the Christmas Update, is a major update to Dead Cells that was released on the 23rd of December 2019 to PC, around the 11th of February 2020 for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and the Nintendo Switch, and on the 20th of October 2020 for iOS and Android.
- Community suggestion | The Legacy Update now gives you access to all of the major iterations of the game that we've released. So, you can now play 0.0, 0.1, 0.2 and so on...Cool huh?
- A new skill has been added, the Ice Armor. Covers your body with ice that explodes, freezing enemies, when you activate the skill again or after a few seconds. If you take a hit while it still active, you don't take any damage/ malaise and the ice explodes, but the cooldown is doubled. Perfect to delay the decaying of your current host...
- A new shield has been added: the Ice Shield which, surprise, freeze all enemies around you on a successful parry. Parried projectiles will also freeze the enemies.
- Frostbite a new survival mutation, has been added, turning the "slowed" status into a dot in addition to its usual effect.
- Cold Blood, a survival mutation, has been added. Reduces cooldown when you melee hit a slowed, rooted or frozen mob.
- A new skin, honoring our favorite white-bearded gift-bringer reindeer trainer grand' Pa, has been added.
- Meat Skewer has been reworked, with the first strike of the combo dashing and piercing through mobs. The weapon next attacks inflicts critical damages on the enemies pierced with the first strike.
- Frontline Shield has been reworked, it now gives you a damage boost on melee strikes after a successful parry.
- Lightning Whip does more damages, and will also deal damages to the enemies close to the target (currently 50%).
- Community suggestion | The margin for random values has been decreased from 20% to 10% +/-. Basically before, an attack inflicting 100 damages could actually inflict in-between 80 and 120. Now it is in-between 90 and 110.
- Decrease the cell cost of Health Flask III and IV, Gold reserve III, IV and V and Advanced Forge.
- Community suggestion | Hemorrage and Thunder Shield blueprints drop rate increased.
- Community suggestion | Sadist's Stiletto can now have the "bonus damage on bleeding/ poisoned enemies" affixes.
- Community suggestion | Hunter's grenade is now a legendary item.
- Community suggestion | Oil Grenade now also scales with Tactics.
- Community suggestion | Demons can't be shielded by Defenders anymore.
- Throwing Knives bleed damage and duration has been increased.
- Community suggestion | Bloodthirsty Shield now scales with Brutality too, making it the second brutality shield of the game. Merry Christmas.
- Community suggestion | Prisoners' Quarters, Ossuary and High Peak Castle bestiary have been updated, especially at higher diff to make the Failed Experiments slightly less omnipresent.
- Shockers charge time very slightly longer.
- Orange worms attack at a slower speed.
- Invisibility damage buffs now triggers on ranged attacks.
- One-hit protection now comes back when you drink a potion or when your health gets back to 100%.
Quality of life
- Community suggestion | Gold and cells are now collected over an unlimited distance by default. Hence, this affix has been removed from the game.
- Spiker can no longer charge its attack while there is a cinematic.
- Thorny and Golem no longer stop in their tracks when dodging their charge.
- Legacy Update Official patch notes, 2019-12-20
- Christmas Update on the Beta Branch! Steam blog post, 2019-12-20
- The Legacy Update is available now. Steam blog post, 2019-12-23
- Some news on the 1.6 update for consoles: This was originally planned to release on 11th February, however, we have hit some bugs which mean this is now not an option. Twitter - Motion Twin, 2020-02-07
- You have waited long enough, the free #LegacyUpdate for #DeadCells is here ! But are you really ready for it ? Twitter - Playdigious, 2020-10-20