Version 2.9, officially the Breaking Barriers Update, and also known as the Accessibility Update, is a major update to Dead Cells that was released on the 23rd of June 2022 to PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and the Nintendo Switch.
Added a new Assist Mode to the options menu :
- Continue mode – each time you die you can resurrect from the beginning of the biome. (this effectively already existed by quitting the game when you die, now it's just 'official')
- Auto-hit mode – automatically target nearby enemies with your primary melee weapon.
- Adjustable trap damage, enemy damage and enemy health in % increments.
- Option for slower parry window and trap speed
New Gameplay Options :
- Hold to jump.
- Hold to roll.
- Shield toggle option, instead of long press.
New Input Options :
- Customisable Long Interact input.
- Customisable Dive Attack input.
- Customisable functions for the Left Stick, Right Stick and D-Pad.
New Video Options :
- Customisable HUD transparency and size.
- New font option : Arial.
- Customisable Brutality / Tactic / Survival colors.
- Display stats icons in addition to their color.
- Display critical strike feedback on the HUD.
- Display effect icons in item descriptions. If two effects synergize with each other, the icons glow.
- Outlines for the Beheaded, Enemies, Skills, Projectiles and Secrets.
- Disable blood.
- Reduce the number of particles.
New Sound Options :
- Customize categories of sound effects individually (active, enemies, environment, etc.)
- Added a customizable sound priority system, to limit the number of sounds at once.
- Barnacle: new crit condition on bleeding or poisoned targets to make it less awkward (and bad).
- Tentacle: lots of bug fixes. It should be way more reliable now.
- Crowbar: new crit condition on stunned enemies to make it less awkward too.
- Magnetic Grenade: full rework, it doesn't send enemies flying around (often in your head) but instead pulls them towards the explosion.
- Biters pets: now way more resistant to attacks and effects that don't specifically target them.
- Corrupted Power: now in % instead of a flat bonus. No other difference functionally speaking.
- Wings of the Crow: lots of bug fixes.
- Decoy: can be manually detonated after a few moments (it's not a grenade, but you don't have to awkwardly wait for it to explode if you don't want to)
- The cost of most of the beginner items has been drastically cut, to make the early game less tedious for new players and to make new items a viable unlock option while trying to get your flask, gold and other useful upgrades.
- Reverted the changes on Crowbar. Update 29.1
- Barnacle no longer crits on bleeding enemies. Update 29.1
- Machete & pistol: The third hit now ignores side shields. Update 29.1
- HOTK should now have an easier time hitting the player when they're airborne. Update 29.2
Graphics & UI
- Added an option to change the text size of Item Names, Item Item Descriptions and Dialogues. Update 29.1
- Added an option to increase the size of the Attack Announces. Update 29.1
- Added a new font to choose from: "Adys". Update 29.1
- Added an an option to add a colored filter between the background and foreground. The color and opacity of the filter can be freely customized. Update 29.1
- Reorganized the entirety of the Options menu and added a new "Accessibility" section. Update 29.1
- Texts in the Stat Selection Menu no longer use "Red", "Purple" and "Green", but "Brutality", "Tactic" and "Survival". Update 29.1
- The Crown and The Lighthouse now have different doors that lead to their biomes. Update 29.2
Quality of life
- Reworked all the player animations to correctly display the head behind the body, when needed.
- Added a new Update Pop-up that displays all the information about our latest update, when you launch the game for the first time. Update 29.2
- Thunder Shield is now longer considered to be a ranged weapon. Update 29.1
- Fixed Face Flask's "Volley of Arrows" affix not dealing any damage. Update 29.1
- Fixed a bug where scrolling in the options felt "bumpy". Update 29.1
- Fixed Golden Bat Kamikaze appearing in the ground in the Training Room. Update 29.1
- Fixed some soflocks with Pollo Power. Update 29.2
- Fixed some overlap visual bugs on the World Map. Update 29.2
- Accessibility Official patch notes, 2022-06-15
- New alpha with accessibility options, Assist Mode and beginner item reworks! Steam blog post, 2022-04-12
- Accessibility update moves into beta Steam blog post, 2022-05-05
- 'Breaking Barriers' introduces accessibility options, Assist Mode & item reworks Steam blog post, 2022-06-23